The Wilder Side of Iceland – 5 Days
Departure: 24th February 2021
Eco Companion is proud to put together a very special one time adventure, giving you the chance to escape the masses and discover a wilder side to Iceland!
This tour is led personally by Max Sinclair, founder of Eco Companion and two EC Journalists to be confirmed soon...
→ At least 4 separate opportunities to see the Northern Lights either from a remote location in the wilderness or even from a rooftop hot tub!
→ Experience parts of Iceland no tourist has the chance to see thanks to every expedition being privately led by local experts with 'Super Jeep' transportation such as the Eyjafjallajökull volcano!
→ Enjoy everything included (but the drinks!), all alongside a the EC leaders looking after you and other passionate eco travellers!
Have the very best chance to experience the Northern Lights! See the infamous Eyjafjallajökull volcano that brought UK flights to a standstill. Discover the south coast Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls. Walk on the Reynisfjara black sand beach. Ice-walk across Sólheimajökull Glacier. Reach parts of Iceland no tourist can alone, thanks to our super jeeps transportation (Named after the Norse gods like Thor).
Rest assured, this trip is only available to a maximum of 16 travelers, so the adventure will never feel overcrowded.
February is argued to be the best month of the year for northern light sightings (All images on this page have been taken by the team in February last year). This trip is perfect for anyone looking to avoid cramped coach travel and instead, discover a more pristine untouched side of the country!
Day 1 - Arrival (24/02/21)
- Take either the easyjet or BA flights that get you in for for 11:00 or 11:30 to meet at 11:30 at Keflavík International Airport (KEF). The group will all meet there to head on to our Base Camp via private transfer.
- As we head south we'll explore the Reykjanes peninsula, stopping for lunch, sightseeing to give you a feel for Iceland, the landscape and the geothermal power underneath.
Late afternoon/ evening:
- Depending on how quickly we progress on our way to Base Camp, we'll likely start by visiting the amazing Lava Centre (a few minutes walk from Base Camp).
- We'll then spend our evening getting to know each other over your first Icelandic dinner.
- Depending on weather forecasts we will grab our first chance right away to see the northern lights. Every night we have at the basecamp if there's a chance, we'll take it.
- Looking for a more relaxed evening after your travels? There's always a great opportunity to see the northern lights from the rooftop hot tub too!
- Then get a good nights sleep so you're rested and rejuvenated for the next days exploring.
Day 2 - South Coast and glacier walking (25/02/21)
- Enjoy a delicious breakfast buffet at Base Camp to start the day.
- Today we'll focus on the beautiful south coast. Where exactly we stop depends a little on the weather but the top of the list are Skógafoss waterfall, Seljalandsfoss waterfall (you can walk behind it!), black sand beach, Vík, Reynisfjara and Dyrhólaey.
- To get a more first-hand experience of a glacier, we crampon up and head on to the Sólheimajökull glacier.
- Depending on how much fun we have/time we take and a bit of luck with weather, we might head all the way to Vik too.
- When back at our Base Camp in the afternoon depending on how the group feels we may head out to visit the local swimming pool. A satisfying Icelandic way to finish a day of exploring! The pool area consists of an outdoor pool filled with warm water, hot tubs and a sauna.
- Dinner at Base Camp Restaurant
- Activities during the evening depend on how we're feeling after the days time away. If the group is looking to relax then we'll leave everyone to enjoy their evening and grab a few drinks at the bar. Though if enough will is behind us, we could also look to organise an evening expedition too!
- If the northern lights look promising we will head out in search for them again. Or perhaps tonight's the night for a hot tub view of the Aurora Borealis!
- Settle in for another night at Base Camp.
Day 3 - Þórsmörk or Eyjafjallajökull super jeep exploration (26/02/21)
- After a nice breakfast at Base Camp again we wrap up warm again and head on to the valley of the Thunder God Thor, Þórsmörk - created from eruptions underneath the glaciers that makes its unique and oh so memorable geography. All of today is exploring parts of Iceland no traveller can achieve without trained guides and some of the famous red Icelandic super jeeps you'll have seen in the photos.
- On our way inside the valley, we will explore the surroundings of the volcano Eyjafjallajökull, the one that erupted in 2010 that us Brits know so well for stopping all our flights. We stop by the outlet glacier Gígjökull where the eruption originally occurred.
- When in Þórsmörk we take on hikes matching up to the group's energy and will for it.
- Enjoy a delicious dinner at the Base Camp Restaurant.
- This night there is still a possibility to visit the swimming pool or the Lava Centre.
- Just like the previous nights, if there's a chance for the northern lights, we'll take it! Most trips to Iceland give you one or maybe two chances. With this trip, we're based so remotely that every night is a chance to see the lights!
- Head to sleep for one last night.
Day 4 - Open day and on to Reykjavik for final dinner (27/02/21)
- After taking advantage of one more breakfast at our remote Base Camp, get packed up and ready for your final adventure in the wilds...
- Depending on weather and our preferences, we will likely head out on a hike to Reykjadalur, the geothermal area and for a warm bath but if the weather is too fierce we will just do something else which might include the Golden Circle, the Þjórsárdalur valley or more. The weather will decide on this. Whatever will be the choice we promise a nice day.
- We'll then check out of our home at Midgard Basecamp and head on via private transfer to Kex Hostel in Reykjavik city centre. Reykjavik is the capital of Iceland and a key experience to really get to know Iceland as a country.
- From here we'll have one final group dinner together before heading out for the evening to try out the bar scene of the city - that's known particularly for its many small friendly bars one after the other along one main road.
Day 5 - Exploring Reykjavik and Departure (28/02/21)
- After one final breakfast at Kex, your day is free to explore Reykjavik City Centre perhaps to see the famous Hallgrímskirkja Cathedral, get over your hangover with a trip to Glo, travel and adventure blogger. who specialise in vegetarian and vegan food, or if you're looking for some real 'culture' then head to the infamous Phallus (penis) museum to see the world's largest penis in person! 😳
- We'll then all meet back at Kex Hostel at 17:00 to head on to Keflavik Airport via private transfer and say our fond fair wells! (We've based this time off an Easyjet 20:30 flight. If you do need to get an earlier flight though then we're always happy to help you book an alternative for the short transfer)
Use the 'BOOK' tab to start securing your place on this trip, or get in touch with any questions through the enquiry button and we'll get back to you ASAP.
Per person price: £1,449 (Early bird £50 off for first 4 traveller's still available as we love to reward the spontaneous!!)
Secure your place with a deposit of only 20%!