"A boutique hotel set amid the wetlands of Costa Rica - the perfect destination for an exclusive and relaxing escape."
Bordering the Palo Verde National Park, set in stunning wetlands and surrounded by grassy plains and lily-pad filled marshes, you’ll find the Rancho Humo eco-boutique hotel. This traditional estate ranch in Guanacaste covers a huge area – over 1,000 hectares – and is dedicated to protecting the wildlife and ecosystems within it. The hotel is designed as a luxury safari lodge combined with a traditional ranch style. Offering only 10 rooms, this is the ideal location for nature lovers seeking a calming and exclusive get-away.
It may be relaxing but there’s no risk of getting bored during your stay. Whether on foot, by bike or on safari there are plenty of wildlife trails to explore, keeping your eyes peeled to spot exotic flowers, monkeys and rare birds. Alternatively, head to the nearby lagoon to see crocs and caimans, the iguana breeding enclosure or the horse and cattle corrals. If you fancy wandering further afield there are plenty of day tips on offer, such as a visit to the artisan town of Guaitil, exploring a coffee plantation and mountain reserve or seeing even more wildlife at either of the two National Parks in the vicinity. Or if you just want to relax, the yoga gazebo offers fantastic views over the wetlands and is the ideal spot to enjoy a Costa Rican sunset.
Rancho Humo was transformed from a cattle farm into a wetlands conservation area by a local family, and today stands as a model for sustainable development. The estate ranch has now become a private reserve spread over 2,718 acres of land, which is there to protect and preserve the land and to safeguard the endangered tropical ecosystems that thrive in the area. There are a huge range of ecosystems within this rescue area, such as mangrove, dry tropical rainforest and wetlands, which are home to a large variety of flora and fauna, including the rare Jabiru stork. All these ecosystems have been restored to their current state, after having suffered from man-made destruction.
The boutique hotel offers tourists the chance to experience the surrounding wildlife and nature authentically without negatively impacting on the wellbeing of the area. The ranch implements sustainable tourism hotel practices in their methods of energy conservation, water management, recycling, environmental protection and community support. It has been labelled a ‘Five Leaf’ resort, the highest certification for sustainable tourism that you can achieve in Costa Rica. In addition to their eco-friendliness, they also adopt a holistic approach in regards to wellbeing, promoting harmony between their guests and the peaceful environment.
- Rate shown is a 'from' price per night, based on quadruple occupancy in a Family Room (during the 'Green season')
- Rates are seasonal
- Click 'Ask a Question' up above for full information about room rates, availability and accommodation options
- Two night minimum stay required regularly
- During Christmas and New Years (December 23rd - January 1st), there is a minimum stay of three nights
- Click 'Ask a Question' to enquire about group bookings
- All meals
- One way boat transfer from La Amistad Bridge
- A complimentary tour of Rancho Humo’s wetland reserve in a safari vehicle
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel
- Access to swimming pool and sun deck
- Spa services
- Walking trails and gardens
- Comfortable lobby lounge and bar
- Luxury amenities in the rooms
- Alcoholic beverages
- Anything other activities or services not mentioned in inclusions - if in doubt, click 'Ask a Question' up above to speak to the operator directly!