"Discover luxury in the Sri Lankan wilderness and get back to nature!"
Lose yourself in the Sri Lankan wilderness. Sleeping in one of sixteen chalets, you will feel like one of the wild creatures that reside in the surrounding rainforest. Designed with bamboo panelling and plush seating, the interior of this eco-lodge will ensnare the senses, providing you with an illusion of travelling back in time to a period when humans lived simpler lives, in harmony with nature and with the rainforest. Rediscover this connection at The Rainforest Eco Lodge.
Wake up each morning to the patter of the rain pounding on the roof above your bed, the scatter of tiny animals on the prowl for their next meal, the battle of the songbirds in their morning choir and the whistle of the wind through the trees; all of these natural sounds combine to create a cacophony of sounds that fight for your attention. Take the time to explore the Sinharaja rainforest, a short drive from your lodge, stepping through the brambles of unique plants and vibrant flora. From the diverse species to the high-reaching trees, the vibrant make-up of the forest presents nature in its purest state.
Situated on the southeastern side of the Sinharaja Rainforest, the site of the Rainforest Eco Lodge was formerly a tea estate. The community of families that were resident on the site lived in poor conditions, and were isolated and marginalized – until the Rainforest Eco Lodge project began. The project started by investing in the tea worker community, helping to develop basic facilities while also considering a long-term strategy that would help to empower the families once the eco lodge opened in full.
Of course, it became clear that the local people would be integral in ensuring the success and sustainability of the project, as without collaboration, inclusion and community integration the eco lodge project would surely fail. The knowledge and skills of the local community helped the project to develop, and in turn the eco lodge ultimately provided greater opportunities for local families to be involved in ecotourism. The Rainforest Eco Lodge project was able to grow and thrive, and the community was able to develop and strengthen, through this mutually beneficial partnership.
- Rate shown is for a Single Room only
- Double and Triple occupancy rooms are also available - click 'Ask a Question' for rates
- Bed and Breakfast, Half Board and Full Board accommodation is also available
- There is a mandatory Gala Dinner on December 24 and December 31
- Click 'Ask a Question' to speak to the operator directly about this lodge's accommodation and catering options, availability and rates
- Please note that a package stay can be created, consisting of two nights on a Full/Half Board basis, with the third night room only on a complimentary basis.
- Hot and cold water
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Personal safe for valuables
- Hair dryer
- Forest treks (click 'Ask a Question' up above for more info about this)