"A rare chance, the chance to visit Costa Rica at your own pace. Take advice on board, ask the questions and you can easily turn this into a trip of a lifetime!"
Are you tired of having to stick to timings and follow a routine? For those looking for something with a bit more adventure, and the chance to throw yourself in and go exploring, this trip is the perfect option for you. The first few days of your Costa Rican adventure will be arranged, but after this you’ll be able to explore the country in your own way, and at your own pace! During your first few days you will be able to discover the area surrounding San José, including banana plantations and the canals of Tortuguero; roam along the tropical trails, through forests simply teeming with life, and visit local villages for your first taste of pura vida in Costa Rica!
On the fourth day of your stay you will be able to pick up a fully insured Daihatsu Bego 4×4 (or similar model), meaning that you will be fully equipped to take a drive through this tropical paradise. This sense of freedom means that you'll have plenty of time to go on the hunt for the striking scenery and the rich tapestry of exotic wildlife which can be found throughout stunning Costa Rica. What’s more, entirely creating your own schedule means you will be completely unrestricted by the routine of everyday life - it's a totally unique adventure, done your way!
Travelling with the company Asuaire leaves you safe in the knowledge that your trip to Costa Rica will be carried out in the most sustainable fashion. They are involved in several programmes, all of which aim to enhance their tours’ sustainability, including the CTS (Certification of Tourism Sustainability) and the Blue Flag Ecology Programme. The goal is to protect the natural environment whilst also educating people about sustainable practices. Asuaire is proud of the fact that it is a carbon neutral company and only uses suppliers that have the best sustainability practices and a strong sense of their own social responsibility.
Asuaire has several sustainability programmes, each designed to lessen the demand for precious resources like water and energy, as well as reduce wastage. Separating waste means that recycling can be carried out more efficiently, and the use of natural and LED lighting in offices has meant the company has become more environmentally friendly. Toilets have been replaced with ones which use less water when flushed, and an air system is in place instead of faucets. The company also educates their employees about the best sustainability practices. Finally, Asuaire is involved with several community initiatives, including planting native trees to help reforest natural areas.
The Adventure Begins: Arrive in San José airport where you will be transferred to your four star accommodation. Here you will be able to relax and enjoy the included breakfast.
Tortuguero: Depart from the hotel between 6-7 am and travel through the Braulio Carrillo National Park. Experience a traditional Costa Rican breakfast at the El Ceibo Restaurant in Guápiles before you discover local villages and banana plantations. Afterwards, head to the dock and witness boats cruising down Tortuguero’s canals. Once you arrive at the Pachira Lodge you will be greeted with a welcome drink and served lunch. Spend the rest of the day visiting the nearby museum and exploring the beach and town before you indulge in your evening meal.
Tortuguero: Stroll through the tropical trails, past the lush vegetation, and see if you can catch a glimpse of some of the amazing wildlife this country has to offer. Take a trip down the canals and enjoy lunch onboard the boat. Head back to the hotel for dinner. If it's the turtle nesting season (between July and October), you can choose to go on an optional extra night time turtle nesting tour!
Guápiles: After lunch at the El Celbo Restaurant, pick up a Daihatsu Bego 4×4 (or similar model) with full cover insurance. Now's your chance to drive around the country at your own leisure for ten whole days!
Final Day: Head back to the airport to return the 4x4 and either catch your flight back home or continue travelling.
- Price shown is based on double occupancy (2 adults sharing) during the low season
- Click 'Ask a Question' to find out more about this tour's departure dates and costs
- Price shown is with taxes included
- Prices may change due to rate change from Asuaire's providers or lack of availability where a change could imply an extra cost
- Asuaire's cancellation policies are aligned by their providers' policies. For non-peak season bookings travelers get a full refund 20 days before the trip, except in cases where the provider specifically demands the contrary, in which case, Asuaire will send a copy of the explanation. For cancellations during Christmas, New Year's and Holly Week, 40 days before arrival travelers will get a refund except in cases where the provider specifically demands the contrary, in which case, Asuaire will send a copy of the explanation.
- Guided three day/two night tour to Tortuguero (including transportation, accommodation, meals, guide, entrance to the National Park, and an excursion through the canals and the town)
- Daihatsu Bego 4×4 for 10 days (with full cover insurance)
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Services not mentioned in itinerary - if in doubt, click 'Ask a Question' to chat to the operator directly!