"Live like a primate in this unique treehouse, high in the Costa Rican forest canopy."
The Observatorio: a treehouse suspended 25 meters above the forest floor, in the tropical Costa Rican rainforest canopy. This unique lodge allows you to truly experience the jungle from the perspective of the inhabiting monkeys, sloths and toucans, all without harming a single tree. You reach your room by either climbing or being pulled up via an elevation system, so even getting to your room is an adventure in itself! Nature lovers will never forget the incredible views of the forest they'll enjoy from this unique hotel in the sky.
Keep yourself busy in the daytime by exploring the surrounding forest as you enjoy nature hikes. Don’t forget your camera - this is the ideal time to capture a snapshot of the jungle’s colourful residents. Later, return to the treehouse to admire the 360˚ panoramic views of the Caribbean Ocean and the forest canopy stretching out before your eyes - grab a pair of binoculars and count the number of species you can spot! If you are a nature lover and adventurer looking for a completely unique stay, then the Observatorio is really something for you to get excited about!
Nature Observatorio is determined to prove that “a living tree is more valuable than a dead tree”. With this in mind, the project aims to show the public how much the forest can offer, not only by providing the raw materials needed to construct somewhere to stay, but by also showcasing the natural beauty of the jungle. They ensure that all guests have an authentic jungle stay, whilst avoiding harming the trees in use by not using screws or nails. The treehouse is only in place for five to seven years before the entire thing is deconstructed and moved onto another tree. This impermanence means that any lasting environmental impacts are minimised.
The Observatorio is powered by solar and uses natural rainwater for the shower and eco-toilet facilities to ensure minimum water waste. They fulfil the social pillars of sustainability by working with the local Indian tribespeople to ensure that they are able to coexist effectively. By hiring the local tribesmen as tour guides they are both supporting the community economically and providing the guests with knowledgeable guides for a more authentic experience. By learning the ways of the tribespeople they ensure that they understand all about the area and maintain the highest level of sustainability.
- The rate shown is a 'from' price, per night
- Rates vary depending on the season
- Junior rates apply for 8-18 year olds
- Package stays including jungle tours are available
- Click 'Ask a Question' up above to speak to the operator directly about this lodge's availability, accommodation options (including packages) and rates
- This property has a maximum capacity of 4 people
- Refunds: 80% refund available until 30 days prior to check-in; 50% refund available 15 days prior to check-in; 25% refund available 6 days prior to check-in; within 5 days of check-in there will be no refund.
- Basic breakfast
- Fruits, snacks and drinks
- Dinner (VIP option available, with a special delivery of a hot dinner plus one bottle of wine per couple right before the sunset - click 'Ask a Question' to enquire about this)
- Transfers (can be arranged at additional cost)
- Any other services or activities not mentioned in inclusions - if in doubt, click 'Ask a Question' up above to chat to the operator!