“Step into the shoes of the great Victorian explorers at this boutique camp on the edge of Tanzania’s vast Selous Reserve.”
The River Nile: Africa’s longest river and lifeblood. Its source has been a mystery for thousands of years, a mystery that Victorians John Hanning Speke and Richard F. Burton set out to solve in the1850s. Fast forward to today, don your explorer’s hat and head to The Source of the Nile Camp where you can experience this part of Tanzania just as those intrepid pioneers would have done over 150 years ago.
You’ll see wild elephants roaming round the camp. Meet the local tribes’ people and bond with them over an evening of singing and dancing around a bonfire. And turn in for the night under a canvas roof, blending in with the grasses, palms and Tamarind trees of this preserved environment.
The Source of the Nile Camp has a lot to shout about when it comes to sustainability. Accommodation takes the form of neutral-coloured tents, blending effortlessly into the preserved landscape. If you’d love to do a safari but worry about the environmental impact of getting in a jeep to go animal-spotting, the Selous Reserve is one of a few that still allow walking safaris, so there’s a guilt-free adventure with your name on it here. The camp is doing its bit in the fight against illegal poaching by teaming up with local non-profit organisations to inform visitors of the troubles the Reserve faces. And the people of the region aren’t neglected either – just last year the camp proudly helped provide new, locally-sourced furniture for the village school.
- The rate shown is a per night rate based on two adults sharing
- A minimum stay of two nights and two people applies
- The rate shown is for a stay during the low season
- A single supplement applies for solo travellers
- Children under 8 are not permitted to stay at this lodge
- Click 'Ask a Question' to enquire about this lodge's availability and rates
- Full board accommodation (3 meals daily)
- 2 half a day set activities
- Welcome drinks
- Transfers to/from Mtemere Airstrip in a shared 4WD vehicle
- Telephone calls and internet
- Curio shop purchases
- All personal expenses
- All drinks and spirits, cigars and cigarettes
- Government bed levy and conservancy fees
- Passenger taxes, landing and departure fees and all aircraft landing fees
- International and domestic flights
- Additional activities, night game drives, extra activities
- Laundry service
- Entry fee, park fee and other game charges