"One for the true turtle lover! Costa Rica is home to some of the world's most endangered sea turtles and this is the chance to see them up close and personal!"
Go in search of nesting turtles on this wonderful two-week trip through Costa Rica. This exciting journey offers travellers the experience of a lifetime, in a setting that is second to none. The tour takes you through some of Costa Rica’s most awe-inspiring landscapes; first land in the vibrant capital city, San Jose, then travel onwards to Tortuguero where your adventure will begin. On these beautiful beaches, during the months of July to December, four different species of sea turtle nest, so your search for turtles begins with a bang! This trip offers more than just stunning sea creatures – you’ll also explore the Cahuita National Park, best known for its coral reefs close to the shoreline, and relax at one of Arenal Volcano’s many hot springs.
This amazing tour provides you plenty of free time to explore Costa Rica’s spectacular landscape. From Tortuguero you’ll travel to Puerto Viejo, famous for its surfing and laid-back attitude. Here you can enjoy two days exploring its stunning white-sand beaches and diverse culture. Move on to Bajos Del Toro which sits in the shadow of the Poas Volcano National Park, and enjoy all this rugged landscape has to offer. The end of your journey will be spent in the Islita area, where you might spot leatherback turtles nesting on the beaches: a truly unforgettable and emotional experience.
Asuaire takes sustainability seriously. Having achieved the highest award from both the CST (Certification of Tourism Sustainability) and The Blue Flag Ecology Program, Asuaire have taken the necessary steps to provide and promote sustainable tourism. Both these certificates are aimed at protecting the natural environment as well as providing education and information on sustainable practices. Asuaire prides itself on being a Carbon Neutral company, awarded by INTECO (The Technical Standards Institute of Costa Rica) in 2012, meaning they have a net zero carbon footprint. The company only uses suppliers that promote best practices - both in terms of sustainability and social responsibility.
To ensure that its own operations are sustainable, Asuaire has implemented a number of initiatives focusing on social, environmental and economic sustainability. These include a water efficiency program, which involves an internal educational program for employees to increase the efficient use of water, an electricity program, and a waste program. Furthermore, the company commits itself to regularly holding voluntary gatherings to plant native trees, to aid reforestation efforts. Finally, Asuaire prioritises hiring local tour guides to create opportunities and strengthen the sources of employment in all parts of all the countries in which it operates.
Arrive in San Jose and transfer from the airport to your hotel.
Leave your hotel in San Jose fairly early to begin your road trip. Drive through the Braulio Carrillo National Park, stopping for a typical Costa Rican breakfast in Guápiles. Continue through banana plantations and local villages before reaching the dock – board the boats and navigate the canals of Tortuguero to reach your lodge. Enjoy a welcome drink and lunch, then explore the area with visits to the museum, beach and the small town of Tortuguero.
Take a walk through the tropical trails in the morning, and enjoy an afternoon boat ride through the canals of Tortuguero. In the nesting season (July to October), there is an option to take a nightly turtle-nesting tour.
After breakfast, you’ll travel to Guapiles to receive your Daihatsu Bego 4x4 (or similar model) – yours for 10 days, with full cover insurance included! Next, continue to the Puerto Viejo de Limon.
Spend a free day enjoying the beach or exploring the Cahuita National Park and its surroundings.
Continue to Bajos del Toro, and enjoy its natural wonders – walk the trails, sit by the river or go into town to barter at the local market.
Enjoy some time at the fantastic Arenal Volcano. Take a zip-line ride, relax in the hot springs or explore the hanging bridges.
Travel to the Islita area to explore its different beaches and the unique Guanacasteco town. You can potentially spot leatherback turtles nesting here!
Relax on the beach or take an optional activity. In the afternoon, take a visit to find the turtles nesting – an unforgettable experience. Please note that the nesting season is from July to October (approximately).
Spend the day relaxing on the beach or enjoying activities.
Return to San Jose and spend the afternoon exploring the city.
Travel to the airport to return your rental vehicle before boarding your onward flight.
- Price shown is based on double occupancy (2 adults sharing) during the low season
- Click 'Ask a Question' to find out more about this tour's departure dates and costs
- Price shown is with taxes included
- Prices may change due to rate change from Asuaire's providers or lack of availability where a change could imply an extra cost
- Asuaire's cancellation policies are aligned by their providers' policies. For non-peak season bookings travelers get a full refund 20 days before the trip, except in cases where the provider specifically demands the contrary, in which case, Asuaire will send a copy of the explanation. For cancellations during Christmas, New Year's and Holly Week, 40 days before arrival travelers will get a refund except in cases where the provider specifically demands the contrary, in which case, Asuaire will send a copy of the explanation.
- 11 x nights of lodging with breakfast included
- Guided tour to Tortuguero for 3 days / 2 nights (including transportation, accommodation, meals, guide, entrance to the National Park , excursion along the canals and the town)
- Daihatsu Bego 4×4 for 10 days (with full cover insurance)
- Excursion to see Turtles in the Pacific region (during the season from July to December)
- International flights
- Travel insurace
- Anything else not mentioned in inclusions - if in doubt, click 'Ask a Question' up above to chat to the operator directly!