Seeing animals thrive in their natural habitat is truly wonderful and extraordinary, and The Brown Bear Experience offers you just such an amazing opportunity. With the help of a local tracker, follow the magnificent Brown Bear through the wilderness of the Transylvanian forests and the heights of the Carpathian Mountains, gaining extensive knowledge of their fascinating existence in the wild, as well as their breath-taking habitats. This stunning environment is also home to other remarkable species such as the grey wolf, lynx and numerous birds of prey, all of which you will be able to see during your adventure.
This unforgettable tour begins with a night in Romania’s vibrant and historic capital, Bucharest. You then travel through the beautiful Transylvanian countryside to the picturesque town of Brasov, stopping at the magnificent Peles Castle along the way. Fuelled by the sumptuous dishes served in Brasov’s traditional cafes and restaurants, you travel into the midst of the bears’ habitat. Here, from the safety of tree-houses, you can witness the bears in their element. The next morning, visit the renowned Libearty Bear Sanctuary in Zarnesti, where you can see the rescued bears and learn about the vital conservation work performed by the charity. On the journey home, visit the forbidding Bran Castle, known by many as Dracula’s Castle.
To read all about EC traveller Bianca's Brown Bear Experience, click here!
The Brown Bear Experience is truly focused on the importance of protecting the natural world. The stunning wilderness of the Carpathian Mountains is home to 60% of Europe’s Brown Bears, who have a worldwide population of only 200,000. This tour offers the opportunity to become truly immersed in the magnificent surroundings, gaining first-hand knowledge of the Brown Bear’s habitat and life in the wild, and why it is so vital this environment is protected in order for this phenomenal species to thrive. The Carpathian Mountains are also home to a number of other incredible flora and fauna species, (such as the lynx, grey wolf and numerous birds of prey) all of whom depend on this environment for their survival.
The tour also offers the opportunity to visit the Libearty Bear Sanctuary, a charity which performs invaluable conservation work. The Sanctuary consists of 70 hectares of oak and hazel forest, offering the perfect environment to introduce rescued bears back into the wild. The Sanctuary was initially founded to provide a safe home for over 50 rescued bears. These animals have previously been kept in unsuitable, often appalling, conditions as pets or attractions for restaurants. As rescued bears are often taken from the wild as cubs, it is vital that they are provided with a safe environment in which they can adapt to life in the wild, learning to forage, climb trees and fend for themselves.
Arrive in Romania’s vibrant capital, Bucharest, and transfer to your boutique accommodation in the Lipscani district. Enjoy a coffee or glass of wine before heading out to explore the city and its fantastic bars and restaurants.
Travel to Transylvania, via Sinaia, stopping to visit the stunning Peles Castle along the way. Then head to the picturesque town of Brasov and enjoy an afternoon of exploring the cobbled streets. In the evening you will travel to the Carpathian Mountains for the fascinating Bear Hide experience.
Spend an unforgettable morning visiting the wonderful Libearty Bear Sanctuary and learning about the amazing conservation work this charity performs. Then spend the afternoon relaxing in Brasov, enjoying the offerings of its many bohemian cafes.
Spend a leisurely morning in Brasov, enjoying authentic Transylvanian dishes for breakfast and lunch before visiting the mysterious Bran Castle, otherwise known as Dracula’s Castle. Then you’ll travel back through the stunning Transylvanian countryside to Bucharest for the last night.
Transfer to the airport in time for the flight home after your unforgettable adventure.
- The rate shown is based on double occupancy
- A single supplement will apply (approximately £30 per night)
- Click 'Ask a Question' up above to find out more about this tour's departure dates and costs
- Group Numbers: 2 – 12 people
- Please note that the trip may not be suitable for very young children given the fast-paced nature of the experience, journey times of longer than an hour, possible disturbance to others travelling in the group, and the need for patience and quiet in the Bear Hide. If you’re unsure, please don’t hesitate to click 'Ask a Question' to chat directly to the operator as they can tailor something specific to your needs.
- Airport pick-up and drop-off
- All in-country transfers
- Visit, entry and tour of Peles Castle in Sinaia
- Visit and entry to Bran (aka. Dracula’s) Castle
- 'The bear hide experience'
- Visit, entry and tour of the Libearty Bear Sanctuary
- The services of a bi-lingual guide and professional tracker
- The Brown Bear Experience booklet
- Welcome drink
- Lunches and dinners
- Personal expenses
- Extra activities
- Anything else not mentioned in inclusions - if in doubt, click 'Ask a Question' up above to chat to the operator directly!