Ecotourism Tips For Families
Our best ecotourism tips for families in one handy article!
We’ve been keen to write our top ecotourism tips for families for a while, especially as there’s a big perception that eco travel will just be too much hassle. After all our kids are the next generation of travellers, which means they will shape the travel industry over the next few decades. As well as travelling sustainably as ecotourism families now, it’s also important to teach little ones how to travel responsibly.
Many families avoid eco-friendly holidays because they wrongly assume they’re too much hassle. In reality, there’s loads of fantastic trips you can enjoy as a family, which will help you to educate your little rascals, and create lasting memories. Holidays mean so much more when you get something out of them.
Sustainable tourism isn’t just for hardcore eco warriors, you can travel in a sustainable way just by making a few simple changes. Here’s some general tips on eco travel for families.
Making ecotourism fun for kids
The concept of ecotourism at a glance doesn’t seem mega exciting to the little ones. If your kids aren’t obsessed with wildlife or the natural world, you can still find ways to engage them and make things fun. You just have to be creative. Here’s a few ideas:
- Plan some games that help to educate your kids about the environment, such as nature trails, treasure hunts and quizzes.
- Have a competition between family members to see who can be the best eco traveller. Award points for things like recycling, walking instead of driving, volunteering for good causes, not using plastic and being kind to animals.
- Take them on activities that will help to open their minds such as visual shows, videos, museums and eco parks.
- For older kids, set them the challenge of planning how to get from A to B in the most sustainable, eco-friendly way.
Keep things simple with a staycation
If you don’t fancy the upheaval of taking the whole family abroad, you can still travel responsibly in the UK. A staycation could be just what your family needs. Stay in a treehouse in the British countryside, go glamping or take the kids to a log cabin in the woods.
Epic family adventures
Need some inspiration? Here’s an incredible family-friendly eco holiday that will gain you browny points for, oh at least 2 days! .
- If you’re willing to travel for once in a lifetime experiences, impress the kids by staying in this spectacular treehouse in the Amazon Rainforest. You can teach your little ones a lot about nature and the environment in this impressive location.
We hope these ecotourism tips for families open your eyes to how easy eco travel can be. Grab our newsletter for the latest and best adventures, here.