The Southern French Alps are truly at their most spectacular during the winter months. Blanketed in snow, with frozen lakes and waterfalls surrounded by magical icicled woodlands, the region becomes a quintessential winter wonderland. You might be tempted to book a typical ski resort holiday to get your fix of snow this winter, but here’s an enticing alternative… On this flexible multi-activity trip you’ll have the total freedom to choose from a range of different alpine adventure activities, giving you and your family the chance to discover the Southern French Alps without confining yourself to a generic skiing holiday.
This eight-day trip will be totally tailor-made to suit you, giving you the flexibility to select the right activities for your family. After all, who knows what your family will enjoy better than you? There’s a huge variety of alpine adventures on offer, including snowshoeing, sledding, ice-climbing, and spending the night in an igloo – to name but a few! If you can’t resist a day on the pistes, you can also factor in some skiing or snowboarding too. Accommodation options are also flexible; choose to stay at the main resort of Orcieres 1850 for easy access to all of the activities, or explore the cheaper and more authentic option of staying at a quaint alpine village in the Champsaur Valley.
Undiscovered Alps strives to support local communities, and to ensure that any money brought into the area from outside (via tourism) stays within the destination community. All of their chosen accommodations are locally owned and run, and they hire local guides rather than foreigners looking to do a ‘season’ in the Alps. Not only does this mean that guests enjoy a more authentic experience and benefit from local knowledge, but all of these measures help to make sure that the benefits of tourism are felt in the destination community itself. This trip offers an alternative to a typical ski holiday at a larger resort, helping to provide local people with an income that doesn’t solely rely on the commercial ski industry.
Undiscovered Alps vet all of their guides and accommodation provides to make sure they are operating in a responsible and sustainable manner. For instance, accommodations that are built using eco-friendly materials, and who offer organic and local produce to their guests are prioritised for use, whilst guides that are able to explain local habitats, flora and fauna to travellers to foster a greater respect and understanding of the natural world are selected for employment. Finally, Undiscovered Alps strives to include only those activities that have a minimal environmental impact in their itineraries (such as snowshoeing and sledding), with motorised, high-impact sports not included.
Multi-Activities: This entire week is totally flexible, so once you’ve chosen the activities you’d like to do, Undiscovered Alps will do the hard work of putting it all together! There a wide variety of activities to choose from including ice-climbing, igloo building, snowshoeing, sledding and cross-country skiing (to name but a few!) You’ll receive the full list when you enquire.
- The rate shown is a guide 'from' price per person
- Prices will depend on accommodation choice, dates and occupancy in accommodation
- Click 'Ask a Question' up above to chat with the operator directly and plan your perfect holiday!
- Extra ski passes, activity points or shorter or longer stays are all possible, so just enquire when you 'Ask a Question!'
- 7 nights accommodation staying in either the ski villages or main resort of Orcieres 1850. Choose from self catering, chalet, bed and breakfast or hotel accommodation
- 9 activity points per person which you can exchange for a range of activities
- 1 leisure card per booking giving you 3 foot passenger ascents on the ski lifts and €46 credit to spend at the famous glass walled 'palais du sport' swimming pool, ice skating, bowling and relaxation spa in Orcieres.
- Snowshoes and poles for 6 days
- A personalised itinerary
- Maps and route guidance for safe self guided snowshoe walks
- Up to date information and advice on local markets, events, and other sightseeing opportunities
- Anything else not mentioned in inclusions